Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

In my mailbox last week I found the current issue of Cook's Country Magazine. I was so excited, I love these magazines! While I was looking through it a recipe for Chocolate Sugar Cookies caught my eye, and I couldn't wait to try them. Here is the recipe, including my own changes for flavor.



Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Cook's Country Magazine

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
(the original recipe calls for dark
brown sugar, but I like the flavor of
light brown sugar better)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk

Place the granulated sugar in a shallow bowl and set aside.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.

Microwave 10 tablespoons of butter in a measuring cup until melted, this will take about a minute. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into the melted butter, melting this also. Allow the butter to cool to between 90 and 95 degrees. This took around 10 minutes for my butter. Place the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer and mix with the paddle attachment until the mixture is smooth. Mix in the egg and egg yolk. Mix the flour mixture until just combined. 


Using two tablespoons of dough at a time (I use my small ice cream scoop), roll the dough into balls and roll the balls into the reserved granulated sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Using a glass, flatten the cookies until they are about 2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle each sheet of cookies with another 1 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, left over from when you rolled the cookies in it. 

Bake the cookies 1 sheet at a time, until the cookies are slightly puffy and the edges have begun to set, this will take around 15 minutes. The cookies should look slightly underdone between the cracks. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to wire racks to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment