Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Oven Fries

I just realized that I really haven't done any kind of side dish recipes on this blog. I guess I'll have to fix that. These fries are an amazing side dish to start with! I found the recipe in a Cook's Illustrated magazine and have been meaning to try them for months. I'm glad that I finally did. I'm pretty sure that I'll be making these often, they are almost as easy as pulling a bag of frozen fries from the freezer and baking them! I halved the recipe and we had enough for our family of four even still. The recipe calls for cutting the potatoes into even wedges, not really a talent of mine, but they still turned out perfectly!

Oven Fries
Cooks Illustrated All-Time Best Recipes pg 52



2 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 10-12 even wedges
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper










Adjust your oven rack to the lowest position. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl and cover with hot tap water. Allow to soak for 10 minutes to get rid of starchiness. While the potatoes are soaking, prepare your baking sheets. I used just my regular baking sheets, the recipe calls for heavy duty, but mine turned out just fine with my regular ones. Spread 4 tablespoons of oil evenly across the surface of the baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with about 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Line a second baking sheet with three layers of paper towels.

When the soaking time is finished, drain the potatoes and place in a single layer on the paper-towel lined baking sheet. Rinse and dry out the bowl and set aside to use again in a minute. Pat potatoes dry with more paper towels. When the potatoes are dry, place in the rinsed bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Arrange the oiled potatoes evenly on the oiled baking sheet and cover the whole thing with aluminum foil, very tightly. Place on the lowest rack in your oven and bake for about 5 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for about 10 minutes more and then flip the potatoes for even baking. Continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes until the potatoes are golden and crisp. Rotate the pan if you need to so that none of the potatoes burn. 

Line your extra baking sheet again with a triple layer of paper towels. Transfer the baked fries to this sheet to get rid of any extra oil. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment