Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sloppy Joes

This is a recipe I've been making for a really long time. I found it in a Taste of Home magazine years ago. I really enjoy these Sloppy Joes. They are simple to make and I always have all of the ingredients on hand to make them. I always half the recipe and it's the perfect amount for our family to have these and have left-overs one time. 

Sloppy Joes


2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
hamburger buns (10-12)

In a Dutch oven (I don't have one, I use a slow cooker like this one), brown ground beef with the onion over medium heat, just until meat is no longer pink. Drain, I usually use 93% lean ground beef, so I never need to drain it. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the hamburger buns. Bring mixture to a boil. After it boils, simmer uncovered for about 35 to 40 minutes. Spoon desired amount onto buns and serve.  I usually serve with a potato of some kind, either mashed or fries and a vegetable. Come back next week to see the awesome oven fries that I made to go with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment