Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Apple Crisp

We at Cutler's love A Bountiful Kitchen's website, there are always awesome recipes on there, way more than I am ever going to be able to try. :( I was really excited when I saw her recipe for Apple Crisp, one of my very favorite treats to eat and make. I have to make a confession, I have never made Apple Crisp without using a can of pie filling from the store before, peeling, coring, and slicing the apples seemed way too daunting to me. But, I figured this recipe would be great and it was! I also like tons of topping on my Apple Crisp, so when I saw how the topping covered, I decided to double it, loved it! Next time I make this, I would probably substitute a sweeter apple, but that's really just a preference thing.

Apple Crisp
adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen

4 pounds of apples, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of salt

Topping:
2 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cup flour (usually all purpose, actually used cake and it worked fine)
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter (no substitutions)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. In a large bowl, place prepared apples. Sprinkle with vanilla. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix until combined. Place apples in prepared pan.


To make the topping, place dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut up butter and either cut in with a pastry blender or use your fingers to combine. Place on the topping. 

Bake for 45 minutes. The apples will be bubbly and the topping will be golden brown. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream. I think that caramel would also be awesome on top!




No comments:

Post a Comment