Wednesday, December 4, 2013

One Hour Dinner Rolls

Am I the only one who plans on having rolls or bread sticks with dinner, but then gets busy and doesn't have time to actually make any??? I know that I can't be. Enter the one hour dinner roll. I found this recipe last month on Our Best Bites site and have just been waiting for a time to make it. These rolls turned out super awesome and best of all, they were quick and easy. So next time you need rolls on the table fast, try these ones, they're well worth it!

One Hour Dinner Rolls
from ourbestbites.com

1 1/2 cups milk (recipe called for non-fat, I used 1 % because that's what I had!)
3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons sugar
4 to 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon yeast (works with rapid rise, I just used yeast)
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 egg at room temperature
additional butter, melted for brushing on rolls after baking

Place the egg in warm water for about 5 minutes to get to room temperature. 

Place the milk, butter, and sugar into a microwaveable bowl, a small one worked fine for me, a glass measuring cup would also work great. Heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, you want the temperature to be between 120 and 130 for this recipe. I use a digital thermometer to check temperatures for things like this. 

While heating the mixture place 3 1/2 cups of flour, yeast and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer, you could probably do this by hand, but why bother? When the milk mixture is between 120 and 130 you can place it in the bowl with the flour and yeast and start mixing on low to keep the flour in the bowl. Add the room temperature egg and mix until everything's mixed in well. Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until you form a dough ball that's still sticky. For me, I stop adding flour when all of the dough is in a ball on the paddle attachment.

Use the remaining flour on a cutting board or silicone mat. Gently remove the dough from the mixer using a spatula and pat into a rectangle with your hand. You'll notice from the pictures that I'm not very good at patiently getting the dough into an exact rectangle, but it still worked for me. I don't think I needed to have patted it as flat as I did. Cut the dough into about 24 pieces, I used a pizza cutter. Form each of the pieces into balls.

Place the dough balls in a 9 x 13 inch pan that you've sprayed with cooking spray. Allow to rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes. The balls should be puffy and almost have doubled their size. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, they should have a golden brown look to the tops. Brush with remaining melted butter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment